In Utah, the winters could look like a magical winter wonderland, and we sure do love to be festive during this time of year. As whimsical as the winter wonderland, some pests may burrow their way into our homes for shelter from outside elements. In the light of the holiday season, it is good to prepare in advance.
These unwanted pests may include cockroaches, ants, spiders, and even furry rodents, to name a few. While there are a few holiday items that attract pests every year, there are preventive measures you can take to protect your space. Here are some pest prevention tips for a pest-free holiday season.
Tips for a pest-free home this holiday season
From storage, Christmas trees to delectable delights, pests have no boundaries. Furthermore, it is crucial for you to take action to prevent these creepy critters from getting a little too cozy this holiday season.
- Perform a thorough inspection of all greenery. Spiders, ants, and sometimes ticks like to take shelter in these holiday items such as trees, garlands, and wreaths. We recommend giving them a vigorous shake outside to avoid any creepy critters before decorating your home with the greenery.
- Unpack holiday storage outside. Similar to the greenery, you’ll want to unpack any seasonal storage outside. The stored decor is usually kept in garages, basements, attics, or sometimes sheds, leading to dust collection over time. Pests enjoy these dust bunnies that may form, so it is best to unpack any stored decor outside.
- Store holiday items in airtight plastic containers. Some pests like to chew through cardboard and nests, which could become detrimental to the decor inside. Not only will airtight containers keep pests out, but you’ll have year-round decor pieces to enjoy good as new.
- Dispose of live greenery away from your property. Pests like to make a home in live greenery. When you’re done with the decor, be sure to dispose of it far away from your space to avoid pests from making their way into your home.
- Clean up during holiday meal preparation. Whether you’re in the kitchen baking holiday cookies for Santa or preparing a holiday feast for the family, it is essential to remember to clean up after yourself in between steps. Scrubbing the counters will help eliminate crumbs and odors that will attract pests.
- Store holiday leftovers properly in airtight containers. Try not to leave holiday goodies out overnight or let dirty dishes pile up in the sink. This is an invitation to pests like ants, cockroaches, and rodents.
- Take the trash out regularly. Remember to take out the garbage frequently to avoid build-up, which will attract pests like house flies, ants, and more. As an extra precaution, give all outdoor and indoor trash cans a thorough cleaning to remove any old food debris.
- The vacuum is your best friend. Regularly vacuuming the space will help eliminate dust and dirt build-up. Carpet beetles enjoy making their home in carpets, so vacuuming can help prevent that. Carpet beetles are known for damaging natural fibers, affecting clothing and other holiday items such as tablecloths.
- Inspect the space regularly. Be sure to thoroughly inspect all rooms in the home for any signs of pests, from bed bugs and roaches. Not to mention, if you spot signs of an infestation, don’t wait and contact the pros at All Green Pest Control for immediate assistance.
- Clean out kitchen cabinets and your pantry. Often, crumbs and spills will occur deep in the crevices of the cabinets without your knowledge. We’re all guilty of forgotten expired foods. To help prevent pests from having a feast of their own in the shadows of your pantry and kitchen cabinets, do a quick inventory check of your dry goods. Not only will cleaning out the cabinets help prevent pets, but it also gives you the chance to refresh and organize.
Contact All Green Pest Control & Lawn Care Today!
Gear up for the holidays and end your 2021 with a pest-free space this holiday season. Our friendly team at All Green Pest Control will help set you up for success for a fresh start to the new year. Contact us today at 80-477-1289 for a quote, or visit our website to learn more about our services in Utah.